Friday, March 25, 2016

The Golden Rule

                                       

Another week of learning about quality and safety. This is an area that should never get old. We can always strive to get better. This week's readings are entitled, "Assessing Risk and Harm in the Clinical Microsystem". This chapter reviewed the key components to reaching a goal in this area by:

1. Identifying Risk
2. Analyzing Risk
3. Controlling Risk

However, what I actually came away with this week was the importance of communication with and focus on our patients, their feelings and what they are experiencing both physically and emotionally. This became evident after reading our case study this week involving a medical error that cost a 15-year-old his life. Also, it was stressed in the article I read in the AHRQ's newsletter involving family and patient centered care.

My mother taught me a very valuable lesson when I was young and it has remained with me all these many, many, (many), years! Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

                               

If we reversed our roles with our patients and put ourselves in their shoes, would we slow down? Would we take the necessary precautions? Would we listen more closely? Would we assess and intervene with more sincerity? We should!

Sometimes I find myself busy charting on the computer in the patient's room while they are talking to me. I know I'm busy, but I have been trying to make a conscientious effort to stop and look at them and listen with really intent. I want them to know that I am there for them.

                                       
I think if we can improve our communication skills and really apply our focus to our patients, following procedures would come more naturally. I don't know, maybe that's too simplistic or idealistic but shouldn't it be that way? Shouldn't we consider every patient, regardless of background, differences or worldly opinions, as though they were us or our close family so that we could treat them appropriately?

There are so many reasons for medical errors and sometimes it becomes a domino of small mistakes that lead to one great big one that causes harm. Quality and safety is about knowing your role, following guidelines and procedures put in place to steer clear of error, communicating with patients and other healthcare team members in assessing and intervening, listening and understanding patient needs and following through with appropriate care all the while remembering that the patient is our focal point.
                                       

I think this class is so important because in healthcare we must continually be reminded of the important responsibility we have to give patients the best care possible, the same care we would want if we were the patient. If we can keep that in mind, we will know what to do, when to do it, and what will be best practice.

                            

No comments:

Post a Comment