Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A Voice Heard...


                          

If you were given the wrong medication at the hospital.... wouldn't you want to know? If a mistake happened during your surgery... would you want to know why? If a doctor or nurse mishandled your procedure.... would you want to know what happened?

I would imagine that most people would answer "yes" to all of those questions. So let's ask these questions....

If you caused someone pain or made them sick ...  would you want the chance to apologize? If you made a mistake that affected someone else.... wouldn't you want to step forward, explain what happened, and apologize?

Again, I would think that most people would answer yes.

This week we learned about another aspect of Quality & Safety. We reviewed how medical errors affect those that were a participant in the error whether they were the patient or part of the healthcare team.

Through nursing school we have read many case studies about patients who experienced a healthcare error. We once participated in a scenario reenacting a lawsuit that took place against a nurse who made an error that cost a patient her life. My friend played the nurse on the stand. I felt so bad for the whole situation. I had so much sympathy for the patient and their family. What an incredible loss. I also felt sympathy for the nurse. She had dedicated her whole life to nursing. She was a really great nurse and person... but she made a mistake. People are hurt on both sides of the coin when an error in medicine takes place.

                      Image result for two sides of the same coin

We read and discussed a case study this week that involved an error in medication administration that almost cost a patient her life. When all was said and done, she just wanted answers but no one wanted to talk with her.
                     

There was one person who stood out and aside from the rest. He was the anesthesiologist that made the mistake. He felt the need to reach out to the patient and find healing for him and for her by apologizing and discussing the event. That connection was the beginning of healing and moving forward for the patient, anesthesiologist and for others like them.


                                

My take home from this lesson is threefold. I will strive diligently to provide safe and effective care for patients. I will always take responsibility for my actions. I will apologize and communicate with those that may have been wronged. Maybe one more.... I will remember that my patients are people that need to be listened to and heard.


One more week and then one more semester and it's OVER!!!! I will keep learning, I will keep reading. I will keep studying. I will keep improving!

                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment