Thursday, April 7, 2016

Working Together.... Safely!



I loved the quote from the beginning of chapter 13 this week, it states:

"All health professionals should be educated to deliver patient-centered care as members of an interdisciplinary team, emphasizing evidence-based practice, quality improvement approaches, and informatics."

A vision for health professions education, articulated 
by the Institute of Medicine, 2003

Now don't you want the hospital you or your family will visit to abide by this precept.... I do!

Patients will receive excellent and safe care when everyone is working together and properly educated and up-to-date on best practice methods and procedures.

As we have been continuing to focus on quality improvement, this week's chapter covers educating health care workers on improving care where they work. I think new nurses or those who are continuing their education have an advantage in this area because we are in the process of learning more about our industry and how it can run more effectively and safely. It's not about going through the motions, it is about refining how the motions work in order to facilitate effective procedures and quality and safety in patient care. 
                              

The clinical microsystem involves the patient, family, care givers and other interdisciplinary team members. This is the core of patient care. This is where policies, procedures, safety measures and even hazards really matter. This is the target for improvement. 
                                                
We are taught from the very beginning in nursing school to look at our patients holistically. We can do the same with our job. Sometimes I walk away from work feeling like I am getting paid to be a drug pusher. I hate that feeling and that's the wrong perspective on the situation. On those particular days I can have up to six post surgical patients, most of which had their knees or hips replaced. They are in pain, they are hurting. 
                                         

I have had more success at work when I consult with more experienced nurses, the pharmacists and my supervisor in finding the best combination of pain control methods available to these patients. I have found that combining all our opinions, along with the patient's perspective, can effectively control pain, whether that be a certain combination and schedule of pain meds or other options like positional changes, ice therapy, and movement. It has recently been discovered that having patients walk sooner after hip and knee replacement surgeries can reduce pain substantially and aid in healing. Who would have thought that. But, by combining forces with several team members, this was found to be effective. 

I have and will continue to take what I have learned from this quality and safety class and apply it to my everyday experiences at work. We should always be moving in the forward and upward direction to do all we can to improve our skills, abilities and techniques in providing quality and best practice care for our patients!

                           

.....And just for fun ....

                                
This is how I felt on my first night solo when I received a new admit, my fifth patient, during the first hour on shift!



No comments:

Post a Comment